Monday, February 11, 2013

Getting back in the swing of things

A little history about me today...a long time ago, I hit my head, and ended up hurting my neck somehow. I have had problems off and on for years now.  Sometimes I can't turn my head at all, or even lift my arm.  All my X-rays and MRIs show nothing on the side that hurts (but a surprising amount of things on the side that doesn't) so no one has really been able to help.

I have been to multiple drs and ended up at a pain clinic. The Dr. asked me to take a break from working out to see if that triggered it at all.  While I assured him it didn't, as I was having issue from before I ever started running, I took said break.  I was running about 25 miles a week, and doing some weights 3x a week before the break. I got what I believed was a miraculous steroid injection, but it only lasted 8 days. 3 months went by, and we attempted it again.  The second time, there was no relief, AND my neck got stuck a few days later.  I was still stuck at my follow up appointment.  Some manual manipulation was attempted, but no relief was found.  It came unstuck about 3 weeks later.   I decided I had enough for now. I told the Dr. I would call him when my neck was stuck, thanked him, and left.

I decided that I needed to get back to my routines.  Unfortunately , it was zero degrees out.  Really, who wants to start running outside again when it is that cold??  Not me! A few outdoor attempts were made, with horrifying disgust at myself for wanting to quit so soon.  Back to the gym I went! My gym uses little keys in the machines.  The keys store your routine and weight amounts, which I love! I have never liked bringing my little notebook along with me with my routines in it.  I got my key updated and started with my weights again.  They also have a few treadmills and ellipticals to do quick little 15 minute cardio routines.  It makes it nice and easy to get in and out.  Ideally, I would like to do my weights and some easy cardio, come home and run with my dogs.  I'm not there yet, but I will be soon!

Monday's, I am up particularly early.  Today, I made it to the gym at 4:50, did 30 minutes of weights and 15 cardio.  Tonight, I will be walk/ running on the treadmill during an episode of Downton Abby on the iPad.  I would like to run at least 3 miles. Here's to getting back in the swing of things!


No comments:

Post a Comment